Thursday, January 14, 2010

Week 1: Clear

I've had a connection to the Internet for as long as I can remember. My father always kept me up to date with the latest and greatest computer technology. Like magic, my childhood disappeared. I was turned into a cave hermit, illuminated by the glow of my old CRT monitor.
As such, I've grown accustomed to the way things are communicated. I tell my Aunt that I don't have an email address anymore, as to avoid the forwarded emails.
FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW: CAN U BELIEVE THIS?
I don't believe that Netiquette is adapted by the denizens of the Internet in any way though. Even in work-related e-mails you will receive the garbled transmission of what appears to be a new-born baby, though is actually your boss.

Respect is generally lost for them when that happens, and that's why Netiquette is an important part of the business environment. Unless your boss or customer is a grandma that loves pictures of kittens it's best to leave those for your friends (or no one at all).

As for copyright laws, I had not realized the length that it lasted for. A lifetime + 70 years seems like a long time. In my opinion holding on to something for that long just hinders the spread of knowledge and is terrible for society. I realize that they exist to allow for people to profit from their works, however 69 years past when they've died?

No comments:

Post a Comment