Thursday, February 11, 2010

Week 6: Clear

As far as fast-paced technological advances go, I consider myself very lucky for growing up in this time period. At the core (pun alert) of this advancement are transistor-based processors. My first processor I bought was a whopping 133mhz intel. I moved onto an AMD chip that was around 1ghz, then I upgraded to an AMD 3200+, which is around when companies stopped going by the clock-speed of their processors as the main benchmark and things got a lot more confusing with naming schemes. Those are all on just single cores, and now I'm running an Intel Q6600 which has 4 cores, and is way faster than I could've ever imagined originally when I was young.

Recently they've discovered how to use graphene instead of silicon in processors and IBM made a 100Ghz processor out of it, they say 10x faster than the maximum of a silicon one! Although I've read this technology is years away from the mainstream (it always is). Eventually it's said that they can reach upto 1000Ghz on a graphene-based chip!

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9152960/IBM_details_world_s_fastest_graphene_transistor?source=rss_news

No comments:

Post a Comment